Tuesday, April 7, 2009

First Post on the New Blog

Warning: This blog will be subject to frequent typos and spelling mistakes.

In 9 days I'll be boarding a plane for Africa. This will be my first time in the Africa continent and hopefully the first trip of many. Myself and 3 friends will be flying to Cape Town South Africa for 4 days and then flying to Windhoek, Namibia to start 10 days driving and camping throughout Namibia. I plan to keep this blog as up to date as possible for those at home, as I have seen how popular blogs can be with family and friends. When I originally decided to keep this blog I had my grandfather in mind, as he is an avid follower of his family's travels, and prints out all our emails and blog entries. Unfortunately, he has just passed away, so I am already down one reader but I hope that other family and friends will find this somewhat interesting. At the very least, you know that if I post an entry I have survived another day!

The Trip Players:
Lois Dion: Lois and I grew up together in Pointe Claire. We went to school together as early as Kindergarten and grew up cdown the street from one another. Lois was actually born in Zambia as her Dad was working over there, and the original premise of the trip was to visit Zambia for that reason. We decided it was more feasible to go to Namibia so Lois will not get to see her birthplace, however she will get close. Lois currently works for Reebok CCM in Montreal

Jeff Collins: Jeff was my roommate the first day of University soccer training camp and we have been friends since. We have twice travelled through Europe so we decided to change it up this time and go to Africa. Jeff lives and works in Kitchener, Ontario. He will likely become the only Middlebrough supporter on the african continent when we land.

Jessica Bromley: Jess is a last minute addition to the trip. She decide 2 weeks ago to become the forth person on the adventure. There are not too many people I know who book a trip to Africa on a months notice. Especially having just returned from the Dominican Republic. jess works at the Canadian Olympic Committee in the Olympic Preparation Department

Andrew Baker: The common link between the 3 people above, my job will be to keep the peace between everyone...Actually, we are all easygoing and will get along fine. I've been wanting to go to Africa for while and I'm looking forward to my first trip. Although it already seems to short I'm looking forward to the introduction to African life. I expect that it will change my perspective on a few things.

We will be staying with Lois's friend Jes in Cape town and plan to pack our days full of Activities. After taking one day to get our bearing we'll start the trip off with a nice leisurely Shark Cage diving excursion. While somewhat opposed to the premise of these dives, the youtubes videos convinced me I had to try this so we are going to do it.

I'll try and update once or twice to get the hang of these entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment